Welcome

This is a blog dedicated to all riders, support, and sponsors. Pedal your *ss off.

Monday, January 18, 2010

First Race

I got to hit the starting line for the first time in 2010. I would be trying a double today at the short track races. I would be racing the single speed and pro/expert categories. I knew the day was going to hurt, because getting any real riding this winter has been tough and gym miles only get you so far.

Last year I had trouble with my top end speed, but could ride forever. So, I wanted to see what I had right now. I went hard off the start and led through the first turn, I checked my sides after that and saw that I was clear, this let me take the hole shot into the woods. I kept the gas on because I could hear at least one rider on my wheel. I kept the gas on through the woods and up the hill to the clearing, I heard one of the guys say that we had a gap, but I couldn't believe how big it was until I turned around. There were 3 of us with nobody in sight already. I fell back some on the easy part of the hill, but really struggled when all of the muddy gravel and hard dirt was replaced with grass and super soft mud. I had on dry condition tires and slipped all the way back to the start finish line. I lost about 10 spots in that little section. I also felt a little winded after such a hard start but I felt that I could recover. My pace slowed on lap 2, but got faster on every lap after that. I just kept losing time on the soft/slick spots. I looked for the rockiest lines I could find to try and keep traction and power, but could't get what I needed.

The race hurt, but I felt good with the speed that I could produce. The Chumba was amazing through the muddy bumpy singletrack and helped me to make up time in the woods. I felt good considering that this was my first opportunity of the year to really try and kill it.

I pulled out of the pro/ex race to save the Orbea (to be sold) and because my legs were starting to get toasted from climing in the mud. Good times!

Here is a link to the pictures: www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30598667&id=1083131804#/album.php?aid=2050392&id=1316798690

No comments: